As a public Charter School, Freedom Prep Academy participates in state testing. All students must participate in annual standardized testing under Arizona law. Online students take their tests in person at assigned locations throughout the state. Parents and Guides have a shared responsibility to ensure their student(s) are prepared and present for testing.
There are four (4) types of tests that students participate in:
- Course exams: Course exams such as unit assessments, midterms, and finals assess course-specific knowledge and mastery of subject material.
- Screeners: Screeners identify students who need specialist support or additional learning tools. Teachers and Guides may complete observational screening forms to indicate student needs in areas like vision, hearing, communication, academics, and behavior. Students may complete proctored screening for early literacy skills and dyslexia indicators.
- Adaptive benchmark tests: Computer-based adaptive benchmarks such as i-Ready identify learning gaps and inform meaningful decisions about a student’s unique learning path. They also measure student growth and can predict performance on end-of-year state assessments.
- Standardized tests: Standardized tests measure student proficiency on grade-level material and enable performance comparisons between a student and their peers. These tests evaluate effectiveness of teachers, curriculum, and intervention programs, and impact federal and state education funding. Standardized tests typically happen annually at the end of the school year.
In preparation for end of year testing, ALL students should complete their grade-appropriate practice tests. Click the links below and scroll to the bottom of the page to find sample tests, exemplars and practice tests.
AASA Writing Practice Test (3rd – 8th grade) *Note – Complete your writing practice test in a Google Doc and then copy and paste your response in the AASA practice test. Share your Google Doc with na*****@fr********.org
AASA Math and ELA Practice Tests (3rd – 8th grade)
AzSCI Sample Tests (5th, 8th, and 11th grade)
ACT Aspire Exemplars (9th grade)
ACT Practice Tests (11th grade)
Students may also participate in a weekly raffle by emailing a screenshot of their completed practice test to na*****@fr********.org. Winners will receive a $20 Amazon gift card! Winners are selected every Friday and will continue until 3/31.
Test Day Tips
We know testing can be stressful and can cause anxiety, but it is also an opportunity to learn to overcome and develop strength! Encourage your child to take the practice tests and prepare to do their best. In addition to practice tests, ask your student’s teachers or guide how to best prepare for end of the year testing.
What to bring:
- Lunch and snacks
- Light jacket or sweatshirt
Note: phones, smart watches, and/or music players are not allowed. Please leave them at home or in a backpack outside of the testing center.